FAQs / New Computer Maintenance
The best solution to any problem is to have a proactive approach.
This guide highlights important steps to take to keep your computer running at it’s best for as long as possible. Be sure to follow these steps when starting up your computer for the first time and for ongoing maintenance.
**OPENING OR MODIFYING YOUR COMPUTER OR COMPONENTS MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY**
Remember, if you purchased your computer with us (or another seller), it’s best to call customer support wherever you purchased your computer to see if they can help before making any changes.
1. How to Upgrade to/Reformat Windows 10
- This process is incredibly easy, just follow the video tutorial on the right.
2. Download to and install from USB Boot Drive
2. Clean up and Configure Windows 10 for First Time Use.
- Debloat Windows
- Configure and disable startup programs
- System tweaks and privacy settings
3. Install Virus Software
It is essential to install a good antirvirus program as soon as you start up your system for the first time.
1. We recommend Webroot as our virus software of choice. For a small annual fee you can secure up to 3 devices. This programs runs continually in the background with real-time monitoring so you can just install and forget it.
*We make zero commission from this product*
4. Virtual Proxy Network (VPN)
VPNs are a powerful tools that encrypt information going from computer your computer the internet and visa versa. This can be used in conjunction with virus software to prevent attackers from accessing your computer and to keep malware out.
5. Always Remove Laptop Battery When Running on A/C Power
- The main cause of laptop battery failure is overcharging
- Always remove your battery when running on A/C power unless the manufacturer explicitly says you don’t have to
6. Consider Streaming Over Downloading
- Especially when using torrent software to download crowd-shared files, consider streaming (if available) over downloading files to your computer
- Using virus software and a good VPN service will lower the changes of downloading malware